In the late 1930’s, there was a triangular piece of property that every resident considered to be a park. It lay on the Island Highway across from the old Island Hall (now the Beach Club Resort). George Wilson wanted the land to become the first shopping centre in BC. Sadly, that designation went to Park Royal but George Wilson’s dream did come true.
Enter Edward Uran Hynes, a pharmacist born in Prince Edward Island, educated in Saskatchewan and looking to establish a drugstore in town. That was the beginning of the Hynes Drug Store the only pharmacy between Nanaimo and Courtenay. The drug store set the fashion trend of the day by including a soda fountain at which the best 10 cent milkshakes were served. A clothing store joined the drug store and then George Wilson’s Red and White grocery store. A shopping centre was established!
See p. 167 Parksville & then some by Marjorie Leffler
In July 1996, George Ward celebrated his 85th birthday at his home in Coombs; George lived on the same property for 80 of those 85 years – how many people can say that? George was born in Vancouver and moved to the Island travelling by train to their new home. George...
Shelly Road, Shelly Park – where did the name come from? Frederick Shelly, born in 1884, enlisted for the Boer War until his mother brought him home as he was underage. Undaunted, he ran away again and did serve in the army. On return from the war, he headed west from...
Well, we see the name on the insurance business in both Parksville and Qualicum Beach, ‘Thwaites – Norris’ but what’s the story behind the name? In 1912, Edgar Dundas (E.D.) Thwaites moved to Parksville with his family and set up a real estate and insurance office....
All Events are Free