Ernest and Edith Marks were married in 1908, left England in 1911 and arrived in Parksville in 1912. Ernest became farm manager for A. Lodington Smith, who owned 115 acres along the highway across from where the Quality Bayside Resort now stands. In 1940, the Marks bought the farm for themselves. In 1909, the couple had a daughter Mildred who served in the Air Force during the Second World War. Mildred married Bill Kurtz and upon Mildred’s death, 2.7 acres of the former farm
Refer to p. 152 Parksville & then some by Marjorie Leffler
Like the present day snowbirds flocking to Vancouver Island to avoid the cold winters, the same was happening in the early 1900’s. Ernest and Maud Leffler left Winnipeg and arrived in 1913 and bought 10 acres of land in Errington at $40 an acre with the intention of...
Charles Robert Tryon, fourth son of Rear Admiral Tryon, arrived at French Creek after being a tea planter in Ceylon; sheep rancher in Grenfell, Saskatchewan; scout with the Northwest Mounted Police; grain elevator owner in Qu’Appelle, Saskatchewan; and, private bank...
Parksville and surrounding area is known for its beautiful gardens and Frank Topliffe is the first of the early families in which a gardener is mentioned. Five year old Frank moved with his family to Lot No. 11 of the Salvation Army Tract in Coombs. Frank’s dad was a...
All Events are Free