Well, we see the name on the insurance business in both Parksville and Qualicum Beach, ‘Thwaites – Norris’ but what’s the story behind the name? In 1912, Edgar Dundas (E.D.) Thwaites moved to Parksville with his family and set up a real estate and insurance office. Son Ronald Thwaites joined the business after the Second World War and continued until retirement in the
And it seems that he liked to have fun. He was editor and publisher of Parksville’s first newspaper, The Parksville Journal, a copy of which may be seen at the Parksville Museum. E.D. Thwaites wrote practically all the copy and even the letters to the editor answering them himself in an attempt to stir up controversy!
Learn more p. 123 Parksville & then some by Marjorie Leffler
In 1910, Will Stanhope left England, travelled to Canada and crossed the country by train. Horse and buggy brought him to his final destination: French Creek. He bought 10 acres of land now known as Stanhope Road and Wembley Mall. In 1912, his parents joined him. For...
Up to 2010, the home at the corner of Pintail Drive and Johnston Road, had a sign on the corner lawn ‘St. Evar’ but why? It seems this was the location of the Evar Ranch naturally named after Dr. Henri Evarista (St. Evar) Langis. Born in 1857, tempted by the call of...
Arriving on Vancouver Island in the early 1900’s, Leonard Manley, Esquire promptly lost his small stake to card sharks so drifted to Parksville where his dire situation forced him to work for E & N Railway. Unfortunately, this job did not last and Manley became a...