Tryon

Share:

Charles Robert Tryon, fourth son of Rear Admiral Tryon, arrived at French Creek after being a tea planter in Ceylon; sheep rancher in Grenfell, Saskatchewan; scout with the Northwest Mounted Police; grain elevator owner in Qu’Appelle, Saskatchewan; and, private bank owner, C.R. Tryon and Company. What’s left to do? Visit Parksville in 1911 and buy land at French Creek and build a 30 room mansion by the sea. Unfortunately, the house burned down but was replaced in 1925 becoming the Tudor house that still stands in Columbia Beach. Woodlands Dairy Farm was established and the Tryon’s were influential in the organization of the Red and White cattle shows. Tryon family members still live in the area

For more, see p. 106 Parksville & then some by Marjorie Leffler

Tags:

More Stories

Shelly

Shelly Road, Shelly Park – where did the name come from? Frederick Shelly, born in 1884, enlisted for the Boer War until his mother brought him home as he was underage. Undaunted, he ran away again and did serve in the army. On return from the war, he headed west from...

read more

Thwaites

Well, we see the name on the insurance business in both Parksville and Qualicum Beach, ‘Thwaites – Norris’ but what’s the story behind the name? In 1912, Edgar Dundas (E.D.) Thwaites moved to Parksville with his family and set up a real estate and insurance office....

read more

Leffler

Like the present day snowbirds flocking to Vancouver Island to avoid the cold winters, the same was happening in the early 1900’s. Ernest and Maud Leffler left Winnipeg and arrived in 1913 and bought 10 acres of land in Errington at $40 an acre with the intention of...

read more

1245 East Island Highway
Parksville, BC V9P 2E5

Phone: 250-248-6966
Email Us

View Map

Follow Us

Admissions

By Donation
All Events are Free

Hours

Temporarily closed due to COVID-19 restrictions

Join & Support

On At the Museum

Font Size