Parksville & District Historical Society
In 1975, through the concern of a few local families the Knox Heritage Church was saved from demolition. The city of Parksville provided land to the Society and the Church was moved to the newly name Craig Heritage Park in 1983. The arrival of the church heralded the beginning of the museum.
Dedicated members of the Society organize tours, set up displays and provide demonstrations in collaboration with community events. The archives provide a wealth of data about the area and its families.
The Society has provided a list of pioneer names to the local government to be used for street naming, and the Society acts as a watch dog to ensure heritage issues are not overlooked.
Multiple historical books have been compiled by the Society, most recently Parksville and Then Some by Marge Leffler, originally published in 1999, a collection of histories of local places, families and events in the Parksville area. Articles are written on an ongoing basis by members of the Society and further publications are in the works. The latest edition of Parksville and Then Some has just been published and is available for sale in the gift shop.
Volunteers are always needed to help out with archives, fund raising, hospitality, maintenance, museum duty, office assistance, publicity, special events, telephoning and textiles. A few donated hours can make a big difference for the Society.
Come and be involved in our history, come to a meeting or join the Society and contribute. Just like a quilt, the more hands involved the more varied and interesting the quilt becomes.
- The name of the Society is Parksville & District Historical Society.
- The objects of the Society are:
- To gather and preserve information, records and objects of educational, historical and cultural value associated with the area, and without limiting the generality of the foregoing.
- To establish and maintain a museum and archives for the purpose of preserving, recording and exhibiting such material for public education and enjoyment.
- To undertake other activities, which from time to time, may be deemed appropriate.
Board of Directors
- Annual Membership fees: $20
- Membership includes:
- monthly Parksville Museum newsletter
- unlimited entrance into the Museum
are greatly appreciated by the
Parksville Historical Society.
If you would like to consider making a significant donation, please get in touch to discuss your preferences so that we may consider appropriate forms of acknowledging your support.