Marks

Share: Ernest and Edith Marks were married in 1908, left England in 1911 and arrived in Parksville in 1912. Ernest became farm manager for A. Lodington Smith, who owned 115 acres along the highway across from where the Quality Bayside Resort now stands. In 1940, the...
Shelly

Shelly

Share: Shelly Road, Shelly Park – where did the name come from? Frederick Shelly, born in 1884, enlisted for the Boer War until his mother brought him home as he was underage. Undaunted, he ran away again and did serve in the army. On return from the war, he headed...
McMillan

McMillan

Share: Duncan McMillan was a road building superintendent and bridge builder and in 1897 he was appointed government telegraph lineman. His wife Ann McMillan was a telegraphist and used a room in their house as her office. Come take a look as the house now sits on the...
Despard

Despard

Share: A successful jockey in Ireland until he broke both wrists falling off horses, Ned Despard, took up a homestead on Errington Road naming it “Woodsgift” and later opened up his home as a hobby craft exhibit. Page 62 Parksville & then some by Marjorie Leffler...
Gaetjen Family

Gaetjen Family

Share: The well known and popular Parksville Mini Golf sits on the land once owned by the brothers Herman, Gustav and Henry Gaetjen. In 1891, the brothers donated the land for the first school which sat at the site of the present day Chevron, the corner of Island and...
Font Size