Hynes

Share: In the late 1930’s, there was a triangular piece of property that every resident considered to be a park. It lay on the Island Highway across from the old Island Hall (now the Beach Club Resort). George Wilson wanted the land to become the first shopping centre...

Marks

Share: Ernest and Edith Marks were married in 1908, left England in 1911 and arrived in Parksville in 1912. Ernest became farm manager for A. Lodington Smith, who owned 115 acres along the highway across from where the Quality Bayside Resort now stands. In 1940, the...
Shelly

Shelly

Share: Shelly Road, Shelly Park – where did the name come from? Frederick Shelly, born in 1884, enlisted for the Boer War until his mother brought him home as he was underage. Undaunted, he ran away again and did serve in the army. On return from the war, he headed...
Thwaites

Thwaites

Share: Well, we see the name on the insurance business in both Parksville and Qualicum Beach, ‘Thwaites – Norris’ but what’s the story behind the name? In 1912, Edgar Dundas (E.D.) Thwaites moved to Parksville with his family and set up a real estate and insurance...

Topliffe

Share: Parksville and surrounding area is known for its beautiful gardens and Frank Topliffe is the first of the early families in which a gardener is mentioned. Five year old Frank moved with his family to Lot No. 11 of the Salvation Army Tract in Coombs. Frank’s dad...
Font Size