Stanhope

Share: In 1910, Will Stanhope left England, travelled to Canada and crossed the country by train. Horse and buggy brought him to his final destination: French Creek. He bought 10 acres of land now known as Stanhope Road and Wembley Mall. In 1912, his parents joined...

Langis

Share: Up to 2010, the home at the corner of Pintail Drive and Johnston Road, had a sign on the corner lawn ‘St. Evar’ but why? It seems this was the location of the Evar Ranch naturally named after Dr. Henri Evarista (St. Evar) Langis. Born in 1857, tempted by the...

Manley

Share: Arriving on Vancouver Island in the early 1900’s, Leonard Manley, Esquire promptly lost his small stake to card sharks so drifted to Parksville where his dire situation forced him to work for E & N Railway. Unfortunately, this job did not last and Manley...
McMillan

McMillan

Share: Duncan McMillan was a road building superintendent and bridge builder and in 1897 he was appointed government telegraph lineman. His wife Ann McMillan was a telegraphist and used a room in their house as her office. Come take a look as the house now sits on the...
Lee

Lee

Share: Lured by the prospect of farming on Vancouver Island, Henry Lee, his wife and their two sons emigrated from Ireland in 1886 and chose French Creek as their new home. Each family member claimed 160 acres of which 40 were oceanfront. The Lee cabin became known as...
Font Size