Tranfield

Share:

Albion ‘George’ Tranfield was born in Nanaimo’s East Wellington in 1891. His grandfather was the first white settler and sheep farmer on Lasqueti Island. His father, Alex Tranfield, was a pioneer, trapper and scout. In 1891, he was responsible for surveying the highway route to Port Alberni which was on the opposite side of Cameron Lake to where it is now. George built the first road up Little Mountain and lived in a log house at the foot of Little Mountain. More on p. 65 Parksville & then some by Marjorie Leffler

More Stories

Hynes

In the late 1930’s, there was a triangular piece of property that every resident considered to be a park. It lay on the Island Highway across from the old Island Hall (now the Beach Club Resort). George Wilson wanted the land to become the first shopping centre in BC....

Marks

Ernest and Edith Marks were married in 1908, left England in 1911 and arrived in Parksville in 1912. Ernest became farm manager for A. Lodington Smith, who owned 115 acres along the highway across from where the Quality Bayside Resort now stands. In 1940, the Marks...

Ward

In July 1996, George Ward celebrated his 85th birthday at his home in Coombs; George lived on the same property for 80 of those 85 years – how many people can say that? George was born in Vancouver and moved to the Island travelling by train to their new home. George...

Gaetjen Family

Gaetjen Family

The well known and popular Parksville Mini Golf sits on the land once owned by the brothers Herman, Gustav and Henry Gaetjen. In 1891, the brothers donated the land for the first school which sat at the site of the present day Chevron, the corner of Island and Alberni...

read more
Parks Family

Parks Family

Who put the Parks in Parksville? Nelson Parks! Born in Ohio in 1824, he travelled west with wife Elizabeth and sons George, James and Frank. Nelson and each of the sons registered their land claim and each received 160 acres. In 1886, the Englishman River Post Office...

read more

1245 East Island Highway
Parksville, BC V9P 2E5

Phone: 250-248-6966
Email Us

View Map

Admissions

By Donation
All Events are Free

Hours

By appointment after October 1st
Email for an appointment

Join & Support

On At the Museum

Font Size